Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happy with Who I Am

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these he have given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." 2 Peter 1:3-4 (NIV)

Last night I went to the book club mentioned yesterday...and it was fantastic! It was at a church in Pineville, North Carolina and there were around 30 women in attendance. Most of the group meets on a regular basis, so I was the newcomer. The meeting started at 6:30 and lasted til 8:30 and it was a solid two hours of women digging deeper into scriptures and issues women face (all from the book, "I'm Not Good Enough and Other Lies Women Tell Themselves). The book was exactly what I needed to read-- even though I didn't realize it before I started-- and hearing other women share their reactions and experiences made it even more encouraging. Whether it is a book club or another group-- or even just another person-- I strongly encourage everyone to get involved in something that challenges you to dig deeper into issues and struggles-- and even more importantly, deeper into what God says about those issues and struggles. And--this is important--by getting involved, I don't mean going and sitting somewhere to listen to other people talk-- I mean getting involved by actively sharing and participating. Your story could be exactly what someone else needs to hear to make it past a conflict in their life, too!

Nutrition Challenge:
Today's challenge isn't super specific... but, it will make a difference (in your diet and in your bank account)! Whether you are in school or in the working world, you can greatly benefit from this challenge. Instead of relying on a vending machine or fast food to get you through the day, I challenge you to plan ahead and take lunch (and snacks) with you! Yes, it takes a little more effort at home-- but it is well worth it. It gives you greater control over what you eat-- and will save you money versus going to the nearest fast food place on a day-to-day basis!
Example (this is what I keep, 100% of the time, at the office)
-Spinach Wraps (can be bought in packs of 6 or 8 at most grocery stores)
-Deli Chicken or Turkey (depending on what I grab at the store)
-Caesar dressing (no, its not the healthiest option-- but you can be sure to get the lighter version)
-Baby Spinach Leaves
-Black Olives
-Parm Cheese (use a small amount!)
-Bacon Bits (the real bacon, not the processed stuff)
Then all you have to do is roll it all together in a wrap and you are good to go... and, it's a great source of protein and fiber!!
**No, all of the ingredients are great for you-- but, it's much better than fast food!! Easier on the bank account, too!

Fitness Challenge:
So far, we have learned about cardio training, interval training, circuit training, stretching and a few specific exercises. Don't worry, there are many more exercises to come! But, before anyone gets overwhelmed by the amount of things you know how to do, we are going to put it all together for a circuit today.
-Start off with a 10 minute warm-up.
-After the warm-up, do 25 lunges with each leg.
-After the lunges, do wall-squats (3 sets of 10 repetitions each!)
-After the wall-squats, get started on your ab routine! We are just doing the basic crunches today-- either on your stability ball or on the floor! Start with a set of 25 repetitions. Do up to 3 sets!
-After the abs, do the tricep kick-backs we learned the other day! 3 sets of 10 repetitions is a great place to start.
-AFTER you finish the routine, be sure to cool down for a few minutes (5 will be enough) and STRETCH!

Out of Your Comfort Zone:
Last night at the book club, I was completely comfortable sitting and listening to all the ladies that I had never met talk about their personal experiences and their reactions to the book. Towards the end, however, they opened it up for everyone to share what they thought-- and nobody was really speaking up! So, I did... I had a lot to say, but wasn't really sure that I wanted to talk because I was the newcomer to a group of ladies that all know each other very well. But, I shared what I thought (much of what I said in the post from yesterday) and then compared the start of the book to the ending-- I encourage all the ladies to read it, so I am not going to spoil what happens-- but, if you read it you will easily pick up on what I am talking about. And, if you are like me, will be laying in bed crying over the last page!
Long story short-- if you have something to share, and it is something that could benefit someone else, share it! After the meeting, multiple ladies came up to me to thank me for speaking up. You might be uncomfortable at first-- but sharing what God is doing in your heart and in your life is part of your purpose. Whether you realize it or not, you are a missionary and this entire world is your mission field!

Change Your Thinking:
The whole purpose of the book was to take how we see ourselves and the lies we tell ourselves and transform the lie into the truth-- backed up by scripture. If I had the book in front of me to give specific examples, I would... but, Sarah has the book now! Again, whole book paraphrased, look at yourself how God does. You would never say that God couldn't do something or that God isn't good enough-- and if you are a Christian, God is living in you and you can do anything through Him! Maybe you couldn't accomplish something alone; but the great news is, you don't need to!

A tip in the book is that anytime you have a negative thought, put, "in God's name," after it. "I can't do anything right, in God's name." "I never do anything right, in God's name." "I will never be good enough, in God's name." WHAT?? Doesn't make much sense, does it?? Anytime you start to put yourself down or have a negative thought, try that exercise... once you get in the routine of it, I bet you won't think so negatively all the time!

"Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God." 2 Corinthians 3:4-5 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment