Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Unexpected Generosity

This morning, my day started at 5:30am. If you know me personally, you know that is insanely early for me (I am the person who never started college classes before 11am--and still had a hard time making it on time). If you don't know me personally, you can probably still guess that 5:30am is early. If Chad reads this, I am probably going to regret this sentence-- but, it was nice to be up before the sun and be able to see the day getting started. Honestly, I haven't seen the sun come up in ages.

The reason for such an early start was that we had a couple of health talks scheduled at a local business starting at 8am-- No, that in itself wouldn't require me to get up at 5:30-- but I knew that in order to get my day started on the right foot, I needed to set aside time to read and not rush (if you have been reading this blog for a while, you know that setting aside time for yourself was a challenge about a week ago). Starting the day off positively really does become a habit that you can't do without!

This morning, at the close of the talks, I told everyone that we were collecting food in our office to donate through Transformation Church to feed 54 students at Indian Land Elementary. One of the men at the talk really touched my heart. He made an appointment with us-- at settings like this, we do special offers for employees as a thank you for allowing us in their business-- and paid the $20 donation fee (that I will be using to buy food for the cause) and then gave me an additional $10 because he said he really believed in what we were doing and wanted to be able to help the kids. Then, he took it a step further, and told me that he knows a man who donates clothing and other items to local kids and said he would be glad to help in that aspect, too. This is a man who has never met me before, doesn't live in the Indian Land community and has never been to Transformation Church... but he still took a step-up and is helping to feed those children! I thought it was amazing-- and his gesture is the inspiration for the post today!

Nutrition Challenge:
Did anybody make the guacamole last night? I did-- well, Chad did (he makes it better than I do). It was delicious! Today, the challenge doesn't directly involve you or your nutrition. Stick to all the challenges and tips put forward until this point and keep up the good work in your lifestyle change-- but today, I want you to donate at least one food item to a local shelter/food bank/church/any other place that collects food to feed the hungry. We are spending so much time focusing on what we eat and maybe not even thinking that some don't have anything to eat at all. Today, give back to your community!

Fitness Challenge:
Did anyone go to the gym yesterday?? If you did, great job! I know everyone probably chose the, "easiest," muscle for them to work yesterday... so today, do a different muscle group! If you go to the gym--either with your membership or free trial-- great! If not, use some weights or resistance bands you might have at home. If you don't have weights, improvise. You can use paint buckets, canned food, or anything else you might have around the house to provide resistance. In later post, we will continue going through specific exercises... but at this point, I want you to be able to work on what YOU want to. It will give you motivation and satisfaction to stick to your new lifestyle!

Out of Your Comfort Zone:
Today, we are following the man from this mornings lead. We are giving more than we are asked and going out of our way to help those around us. Is there an elderly or disabled couple in your neighborhood who might need help with chores around the house? Heavy lifting, mowing the grass or maybe even something as simple as picking up groceries. If yes, help them! Does a local school or non-profit need volunteers for an event? If yes, volunteer! I don't expect everyone to actually volunteer or help a neighbor around the house today-- but start looking for opportunities to make a difference! Suggestions: Womens Shelters, Animal Shelters, YMCA's, Food Banks, Nursing Homes-- I am sure everyone can think of somewhere in their community that could use a helping hand!

Change Your Thinking:
In our culture, we are taught to be selfish and to look out for ourselves-- so, today's challenge is going to be hard and is going to take a lifetime of work. I want you to make it a focus to think of the needs of others and to help meet those needs. Whether it is a family member, a friend or a stranger-- start looking out for and taking care of those around you. Do this in whatever way you can-- give financially, give of your time, give whatever you can-- just give!

"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Proverbs 11:24-25 (NIV)

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one." (Mother Theresa)


Continuing with the introductions of the people who impact my life... 

Meet Chad. He is my boyfriend and, in addition to my parents, a main part of my support system. He is the reason I live in Fort Mill and a huge part of my daily life. He supports me in everything that I do and always listens if I need to talk. He is a great man and has a passion for helping others... He makes me want to be the best person that I possibly can be and helps me on the journey called life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment