Friday, March 25, 2011

Sometimes All We Need is a Chance

I am getting a late start on the blog today and I apologize. With it already being 8:30 on Friday night, I am going to skip over the challenges for today and simply put a few thoughts out (okay, so maybe there will still be a challenge-- just under a different heading)!

As you know, we have been collecting food and donations for students at Indian Land Elementary School. I have been amazed at the response so far-- and completely shocked today. We have had people donate money for us to buy food with and we have had people bring in items themselves; but today the amount of people wanting to be involved shocked me (in a great way)!

I sent out, "Thank You," cards to everyone who has participated to this point. Today, a lady who had already brought something in decided she could bring more and did! A patient's mom brought in food. A patient's daughter asked how long we were taking donations because she wanted to be involved AND another patient brought in food today and when he was leaving, asked for a list so he could bring more next week. All of that in one day!! And all for a great cause. Amazing.

So, here is the challenge-- try to think of people as, "good." I know the news and culture says otherwise; but given the chance, people will surprise you in a positive way. Give people a chance to make a difference and they will... Maybe they are purposefully doing good to bring glory to God or maybe they have no idea why they feel inclined to help-- but either way, give them a chance to experience what helping other people is all about! You never know what small act will prompt them to dig deeper into the lifestyle you lead!

"May God be gracious to us and bless us and make His face shine upon us, that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations." Psalm 67:1-2 (NIV)

Personal Story:
When I was in high school, I went on a mission trip with my youth group at church. It was an amazing experience all around and is something that I will never forget. For the most part, we worked with children in a low-income area in south Florida. We spent one day at a park, one day at a shelter, one day with mentally disabled and the other days going from place to place and fixing up the facilities. The day that hit me the hardest and had the greatest impact in my life was the day I spent at the shelter. A little boy-- maybe 5 years old-- named Amos came up to me when we first got there. He had tears in his eyes and, unlike the other kids, wasn't playing in a group. He grabbed my leg and looked up and me and said, "the other kids always tell me I'm bad, but I promise if you play with me I won't be." It completely broke my heart. This precious, tiny child had been told over and over again that he was, "bad," and he was believing it. Yes, I interacted with a variety of kids that day-- but I spent most of my time with Amos. And let me just tell you, he was one of the sweetest kids I had ever met!
The next day, another group went to the shelter. When they returned to where we were staying later that evening, they had handfuls of drawings that Amos had done for me.
Point-- sometimes all people need is a chance!

1 comment: