Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Importance of Positivity

This morning, I absolutely couldn't make myself get out of bed (I guess yesterday's early start caught up with me today...). I still made it to the office by 8:30-- but I was pushing it. Even worse, I didn't have time to wake up slowly and do my morning reading and routine to insure a good start to my day. I did fit it in before patients started-- but my routine was off to a sloppy start.

Luckily, even though I started off in a rush, my morning got back on track-- thanks to my readings, devotions and largely because of Chad. When I walked into the kitchen at the office to grab a water this morning, sitting on the counter was a card and a chocolate covered donut (yes, I treated myself to it). Even though the donut was absolutely delicious, it was the card that really made me smile. The front of the card was orange and yellow with a dandelion. The caption said, "Dream Dare Do Discover," and the inside wording said, "...how amazing you are!" Already, a very positive and encouraging message... but, Chad added his own personal touch that made it 1000 times better! He wrote, "You are important! You are special! You are appreciated! You are helpful! You have a loving heart! You are kind! You are needed! You are beautiful! Most importantly... You are You!" Now honestly, who wouldn't smile when they read that--directed to them?

So (Insert YOUR name)... You are special! You are important! Your life matters! You are perfectly made in God's image! And I am proud of you for constantly improving yourself and living up to your God-given potential!

Nutrition Challenge:
No, I am not going to tell you to go eat a chocolate covered donut (but, if you want to... I can't stop you because I already have today)!
Did you know that eating small meals, multiple times a day is vital for your metabolism? So many people go on, "starvation diets," and guess what--- not only are they horrible for you-- they don't work! If your starve your body, it starts to, "run slower." Think about a computer-- if it is plugged into a power source, the back light is typically brighter and it takes longer for it to go into sleep mode. If that power source is taken away, it alters the amount of power it uses in order to stay charged for a longer amount of time. In a way, your body is a lot like that... If fed, and especially if fed properly, it will run more effectively and your metabolism will stay faster. Now, I won't go into all the variable that raise and lower you metabolism or anything to make the point of today's challenge more difficult than it has to be... but, your challenge is to eat small meals throughout the day... 6 is a good number. A handful of nuts or some fruit can count as a meal, but be sure to eat something small every few hours. It takes a while to adapt to feeding yourself that way-- but it is absolutely what your body needs and one of the most common misconceptions related to dieting (which is why we don't diet).

Fitness Challenge:
You have one more suggested muscle group to work on tonight! I know you might be sore today-- or maybe you still aren't completely comfortable with the gym-- but, you are doing great! Everyone--no matter their fitness level--is at the gym for the same reason. They all want to be healthy and more physically fit. Don't pay attention to others or compare yourself to others... just do your thing and become a healthier version of you!

Out of Your Comfort Zone:
The radio station I have been listening to (91.9 New Life) had a day last week where they asked people, in a drive thru line, to pay for the order of the car behind them and leave a note explaining why they did that. The station's website even has a sample note that listeners could use. The purpose, from my point of view, was to start a trend of doing something for others and I think that's wonderful! Now, I know that paying for someone else's order and your own might not always be a possibility-- but, there are ways where you can start a sequence of good-deeds without spending any money! You could write a personal note, a Bible verse or an inspirational quote and give it to someone-- a co-worker, a friend or a complete stranger. Some might not be openly receptive to it, but once they read it, I am sure you will bring a smile to their face. You have no idea what might be going on in someone's life--- family issues, health issues, financial stress, etc--- but, good deeds and positive influences are contagious (so is negativity, by the way). Today, be the smile on someones face or the hope in their hearts.
A lady from a local television station asked me today, if I had 30 seconds, what would I want to tell someone (this was pertaining to the office). My answer was simply, "There is always hope."

Change Your Thinking:
Have you ever scrolled through your Facebook or Twitter account and noticed all the negative status updates? What about turned on the television to see all the horrific things going on in the world? While I don't want anyone to turn themselves off to current events-- it is important to have an understanding of the world around you-- I want you to make an effort to spread positivity in anyway that you can. Whether it is refusing to gossip with your girlfriends or making sure to keep the negativity out of your personal social media page-- do something positive! I know we spend a lot of time talking about portraying positivity-- but it is something different than we are used to and will take reinforcement! Don't put on a front or hide your feelings-- but when it comes to others, be sure that you aren't the force that is putting them down.

At church two weeks ago, the pastor put up 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and asked the congregation to insert their name anywhere the verses said/referenced the word, "love." Today, I want you to do the same.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7(NIV)


Meet Steffi. Although not the most flattering picture of either one of us-- I love it! Steffi and I grew up in the same town and went to the same college. We were roommates our second year. This picture is from a surprise birthday dinner we had for her 22'nd. We were taking pictures and goofing off-- and ended up falling in the floor. We are in the floor, in the middle of a steak house, with everyone else probably thinking we have serious issues-- but look at our facial expressions! That, my friends, is positivity! We could have been embarrassed about falling in the floor-- but instead are are laughing hysterically and got one of my favorite pictures of all time out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment