Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A New Twist to the To-Do List

On Monday when I got to the office, Chad had put together a list of tasks for the day (outside of the ordinary routine). He had it sitting on my desk so I would see it as soon as I walked in. The list included things such as getting the last minute details of our Tuesday health class together, focusing on donations for the elementary school students and putting together promotional materials. However, the part of the list that really changed the course of the day and my Monday morning tiredness were the last 4:
1. Be an encourager!
2. Provide patients with Hope!
3. Love yourself so you can love others!
4. Enjoy the day!

How great do you think that made my morning start off?? What would happen if we added positive things like that to all of our to-do lists? Try it sometime-- sometimes writing something down holds you more accountable!

Yesterday I started a new devotional book. It's great for me because it has a place to take notes (and if you haven't already noticed, I enjoy putting my thoughts into writing). The devotion yesterday was about a lady named Gladys Aylward; a missionary. The scripture connected to the devotion was, "Our help is in the name of the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 124:8 (NIV)

I won't type out the entire story, but I will share my personal notes (word for word) that I took:
-No matter how hard things might be, as long as you are following God's plan, nothing is impossible. He will guide you and help you to fulfill His purpose for your life. Do not be discouraged. God is with you and He has a plan for you.

Although everyone would probably interpret the same devotion somewhat differently, I hope my notes help some of you with some issues or struggles you might be dealing with.

Nutrition Challenge:
I hope all of you have still been keeping your food logs/journals! Today, I want you to notice all the changes you have made from day one! The changes are small and gradual-- but look at the impact they have over an amount of time! Yes, we still have a ways to go and there are always things we can do better on (for example--even though I know I shouldn't be-- I am currently drinking a Mtn. Dew-- it's the first one that I have had in over a month, so I don't drink soda on a regular basis-- but it would obviously be better for me if I weren't drinking it right now either), but you are doing a great job so far! Take a look at the changes you have made and see what you can still improve on!

Fitness Challenge:
Today, we are going to learn how to do wall squats. They are great because you can do them at a gym, at home or anywhere with a wall!
1. Start with your back firmly against a wall and your feet shoulder width apart.
2. Keep your weight in your heels and your back FIRMLY against the wall. Slowly lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Be sure that your knees are right above your ankles and NOT extending past your toes.
3. Keep your back against the wall and stay in the squat position-- make sure your core muscles are tightened for stability during this exercise.
4. There are a couple of ways to do step 4-- I will let you pick the one that works best for you:
     a. hold the position for up to a minute. stand and repeat. 4 to 5 repetitions of this exercise would be a      
         good starting point for beginners.
     b. hold the position for as long as you possibly can (up to 10 minutes) for one repition only.
**You can also make this exercise more difficult by using weights... either dumbbells in your hands or a plate sitting on your thighs. Another variation is to use your stability ball behind your back (the ball will be on the wall and your back will be on the wall). Remember to stretch AFTER you finish.

Out of Your Comfort Zone:
Today's Out of Your Comfort Zone Challenge is from Chad. He said, "Go up to a complete stranger and do something that you know will make them smile." I said, "Like what?" He said, "that's where the individuals creativity comes in." I really liked that answer!! So today, brighten the day of a stranger by whatever means you feel appropriate to make them smile.
Example-- I went to Walgreens earlier and the cashier had on a pedometer. It was not against her body and not exactly on correctly. I simply told her that it would be more accurate on her hip and against her body-- that I was a personal trainer and that was just a little hint for her. Her response was, "Wow, that's awesome! Thank you so much." Yes, things like that can always either be taken as helpful or as criticism... so, make sure that whatever you do, your approach is friendly and positive!

Change Your Thinking:
A lot of times we get so caught up in the day to day obligations that we forget what is really important. Maybe you haven't talked to your parents or kids in a while because of work... Maybe you don't make it to church on Sunday because you are tired from the week before... Maybe you never make time to do something you enjoy because you get so caught up in the things you think you have to accomplish. Guess what? Time is the only thing we can never make more of-- Why not use your time for what's most important? Spend it with your loved ones and spend it growing your relationship with God. Spend it serving others. No, I am not saying to turn your back on your obligations-- but make time for the things that have a lasting impact. On your death bed, you will never say, "man, I sure do wish I had spent more time at work." So, lets make it a point to never have to say, "man, I wish I spent more time letting my family know how special they are."


Meet Cory! Cory and I met my third year of college when he lived next door to Steffi (introduced earlier). We all used to go to country concerts or just hang out at Steffi's place. Plus, Cory and I are both coffee fanatics and would meet at Starbucks from time to time to enjoy the new seasonal coffees. But, the thing that makes Cory stand out, is that since I have moved-- he has stayed in touch with me as well as my life-long friends have. Appreciate your friends-- If you ever move a long distance away from any of them, you will understand how important communication is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment