Wednesday, April 6, 2011

AMAZED by Grace

On Monday when I left the office, instead of driving to the gym or home like I normally do, I found myself across the street at a park. I really didn't even intend to go there, but that's where I ended up! There were couples sitting on blankets under trees, kids playing on the playground, people of all ages riding bikes, walking dogs and running on the paths in the park. Families were flying kites, playing baseball and just simply enjoying the weather. And then, there was me. I started sitting on a bench that overlooks most of the park and then relocated to a spot on the grass-- me, my book, my keys and a bottle of water. I didn't plan on staying there long-- but a couple hours later, there I was; in the same spot. I read some of my book and watched the families as they played-- it was relaxing to just sit with no agenda of what I should be doing. It was nice-- my mind could relax and I could just breathe.

I think sometimes we think we have to be busy to get ahead or be busy to be successful... and I think our hectic lifestyles sometimes take away from the beauty that surrounds us daily. When was the last time you did something for yourself? I'm not talking in a selfish way-- I simply mean taking the time out to appreciate the things God has placed around you and letting your mind go where it will. Forget the stress, forget the challenges, forget being angry... just take time to relax and thank God for the beauty that surrounds us. I know I needed my time in the park... and I know I need to take a time-out like that much more often than I do. Things aren't always great and sometimes I have no idea what to do next-- but, it helps to take the time to remember that God has a plan for me (and for you!) and all we need to do is listen.

Yesterday was one of those days-- I didn't blog because I was having a down day and didn't really want to put my thoughts into the world until I took the time to sort them out and pray about them. I had a couple consultations at the gym yesterday, starting at 11. I left the house at 10:40 and thought I would be to the gym by 10:45 or 10:50 at the latest. However, that wasn't the case. I sat in endless traffic on Johnston Road and then more endless traffic on Lancaster Hwy. The gym is less than 5 miles from my house and it took me until 11:45 to get there! There had been an early morning accident on 485 (Charlotte's version of Atlanta's 285) and, on top of that, the storms had knocked out a lot of power lines and traffic lights. It was a traffic disaster. When I finally made it to the gym, I stayed for about an hour and then came back home. Home was really the only place to go-- the storms had also knocked out the power at the office and the rest of downtown Fort Mill. I watched part of, "Days of Our Lives," read some of my book and then took a nap. Not a very productive day-- but, it was exactly what I needed. I couldn't tell you exactly what had me so stressed or what specific incident made me need time alone-- but, something did. And taking the time to reflect, relax and talk to God made all the difference! Point being-- sometimes things don't go exactly how we plan, but God always has a plan for us! Sometimes it is hard to trust completely in God's plan when we can't explain any of the circumstances-- but, I am constantly working on doing better and building a stronger and stronger relationship with God. And I have found, the closer we are to Him, the less the things of the world and the problems we face get us down! Things can't affect us if they don't have power over us.

Nutrition Challenge:
I have TONS of food for Indian Land Elementary School and Transformation Church sitting in my living room right now... I am delivering it to the church later on this afternoon. It is amazing how much our patients and others brought in... and buying the food that Chad and I contributed was so energizing; knowing that we are a small part of something that is going to make such a huge difference. So, today's challenge is to find a shelter or a food bank (or anything similar) in your area and make a donation. Live up to your potential and start making a difference. Donate towards a cause that you are passionate about-- children, elderly, animal shelters--anything that moves your heart! The things that inspire you will tell you a lot about the plan God has for your life.

Fitness Challenge:
Today's challenge has nothing to do with physical fitness and everything to do with mental wellbeing. I want you to take a time out for yourself today. It can be staying up a little bit later than your family to do something you enjoy; it can be time at a park or a trial; it can be a bubble bath with a good book-- whatever you feel compelled to do, make time for it and enjoy! We can't take care of others unless we allow ourself time to reflect on how we can best impact the world!

Out of Your Comfort Zone:
I am reading, "Captivating," by John and Stasi Eldredge right now. It is a phenomenal book and talks about the core of being a woman. If you ask Chad, he will tell you that a lot of my sentences the past couple of days include the words, "my book said so." It talks about the beauty and vulnerability of a woman as well as some of the emotional scars most women have... and, the various sources those scars come from. But, everything and every challenge is backed up by scripture and is so empowering to me! I have talked about some of the things in the book with Chad-- and he always says that he is glad I am getting something out of it. So, the out of your comfort zone challenge today is to talk about things going on in your head or in your life with someone. Talk to God, talk to a parent, a friend, a significant other-- but, talk openly and honestly with them. You will find that you are not the only one who things about or experiences the things you do-- and you will find strength in the support of others! But as with everything else, talk to and trust God as the final authority on everything-- He will never lead you down a wrong path!

Change Your Thinking:
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 (KJV)

It doesn't matter what translation you prefer, this is a powerful verse. It is also a verse that we have probably grown up hearing so much that it has lost some of it's power. It doesn't say that I can do most things or that I can do all things by my own strength. No. It says ALL THINGS through CHRIST. If you are a Christian, Christ lives in you and His strength, mercy and grace are shown through you. If you are living for His purpose, there is nothing that you cannot do. He has given each and every one of us special talents and strengths and a special place in this world to use them to expand His kingdom.

One morning I woke up and was compelled, beyond belief, to start this blog. Am I a theologian? No. Am I a Bible scholar? No. Am I a girl who has her whole life together? No. Am I an extroverted Christian with the ability to write? Yes! Do I have experiences and thoughts that, through God, can make this world a better place? Yes! So, I started this blog. I didn't know if anyone would read it or if I would even had anything to say. I thought that I would have to think and prepare the challenges a day in advance... I was embarrassed to tell people about it because I didn't know if I had anything worth reading to say. But, I started it anyway! Writing this blog is empowering to me... I don't pre-plan what I am going to say... I sit at my computer and my fingers take over! The best post have been the ones where I have no idea what to write about. I use this as a way to show anyone who is willing to read it what God is doing in my life-- and hope that it inspires them to build a closer relationship with God themselves! I have always loved to write--- and public speaking is one of my favorite activities. But, without using my passions and my God-given abilities to spread inspiration-- my passions and abilities were being wasted. I am not saying that I am a world-class writer or that I am the greatest role model or that I even have my whole life in perfect order-- I am a work in progress. But, through God and through building a intimate, personal relationship with Him, I am able to put valuable thoughts into the world.

Point-- if you are compelled or pulled to do something and you can't explain why, but know that it is for a good, higher purpose--it is probably God working in your heart and in your life! Don't ignore him! Invite him in and let him take over-- Use the abilities He has given to you!! You have a purpose in this world that only you can fulfill and a place in His heart where only you belong!

Just as I have a place in my parent's hearts and an unique role in my family... I also have a special place in God's heart and an unique role in this world! My daddy, mom, brother, sister, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and myself are all unique, one-of-a-kind creations... YOU ARE TOO!! The love of a parent towards their children is great---Imagine how great God's love for ALL His children is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment