Sunday, May 8, 2011

To my Mom and my Granny...

I was blessed enough to have not one, but two, very strong women living in the house where I grew up... my mom and my Granny. On Mother's Day, even though I am not at home with my mom and my Granny has left this world to join God in Heaven, I feel like it is important to take a second to recognize them for the influences they have had on my life.

My mom has always believed in me and has always pushed me to be the best person that I can be. Even though I have grown up and moved away from home, I know that she is never more than a phone call away (and when I am sick or if I am sad, even though it is a four and a half hour drive, she always offers to come take care of me). Even today when I was on the phone with my mom, she let me know that she believes in me.

My Granny is (and probably always will be) the strongest woman I have ever known. She was born in 1912-- carried the mail with horse and buggy-- and saw more change in her life than I can imagine; and she embraced it all! She outlived both of her children, her husband, many friends and even a great-grandchild. Even when she was sick, if you asked her how she was, the most negative thing you would ever hear come out of her mouth was, "I've been better, but not too bad." She worried for and took care of everyone, but didn't want anyone to have to worry about her. There was a great peace about her and she always knew she would be okay; life in this world was only a small part of the journey and she seemed to understand that better than most. I miss her everyday but will always cherish all the lessons she taught me!

I'm not going to get too sappy or to drag it out too far... but, if you haven't already, take a minute to let the women in your life know you appreciate them (you don't have to be a biological mother to have, "motherly love," for someone)!

No comments:

Post a Comment